Who Else Wants to Have Their Cake and Eat It Too?
If you're anything like me, you find creative ways to have your cake and eat it too.
So, when a client asked about the differences between buying static, traditional billboards versus digital billboards, it was obvious that it's a question others likely have, and maybe even one you've considered yourself.
Here's the down and dirty answer.
The 4-1-1 on Static, Traditional Billboards
- 100% share of voice - Instead of your ad being show in a rotation with other advertisers, your ad has all the attention.
- Build Reach and Frequency faster - Because your ad is not being shown 1 time every 80 seconds in a rotation, you are able to build Reach and Frequency in less time.
- Guaranteed Placement - This is actually a good and bad thing, depending on your objectives. "Guaranteed Placement" also means "Contract" so you lose the ability to optimize your ad placements, creative, etc., in real-time, but you gain by guaranteeing your ad is up, something that is not always the case with programmatic.
So What's the Deal with Digital Billboards?
Despite not having a 100% share of voice, you are able to optimize impression delivery across a market, across multiple billboards or just one or two, and can start/pause campaigns in close-to-real-time.
Also, because it is not contracted, it is great for flexible budgets and getting started without committing a significant investment before you find what strategy is right for you.
Two Simple Rules of Thumb
A small budget can go a long way if you commit to a long-term thought process.
There are successful advertisers who only use 1 or 2 billboards per month, but they commit to a long-term campaign (12+ months).
Here's what they do that makes them successful:
- They build frequency with their market and audience by being consistent.
- They move their billboards around the market every few months (called 'rotating') to make it look "like they are everywhere" .
- They stay consistent with their creative - logos in the same spot, brand colors, similar design aesthetics.
If you're looking to make an impact with a shorter term campaign, heavying-up to create big Reach and Frequency and to move 'Trust' up The Trust-Commitment Axis may mean investing more money to create the results you care most about.
Best Practice 101
Use digital billboards to test where you should plant your flag (aka your static, traditional billboards).
With new technology like Audience Mapping™ and Real-World Behavioral Targeting™, you can quickly determine which billboards are the best to reach real people who shop at the places you care about.
By using digital billboards to test where you should be advertising, you'll also reveal misunderstood and undervalued static, traditional advertising billboards that create the attention arbitrage and competitive advantage brands are looking for to reduce overall customer acquisition costs.
Would you like to learn how you can use Digital Billboards + Audience Mapping to create more of the business outcomes you care about?
How a Crazy Question Made Me Rethink Digital ...Read More
Never Miss a New Insight.
Whether it's a new, industry-first case study full of tips and tricks or insider insight that unlocks new gains for scaling customer acquisition, never miss a new insight by registering for updates as soon as they are published.